The Powassan virus is a type of tick-borne virus, in particular a variant of the virus called tick-borne encephalitis and tick-borne deer or black-legged ticks. The concern is that this is one of the most active viruses transmitted by ticks.
Ticks are temporary parasites (family of mites and spiders) that feed on the blood of vertebrates (wild animals, domestic cattle&# 8230;). Contagion to occur in humans by a tick bite is required. Not all ticks are equal (there are more than 800 species) and, although not transmit disease, there are some which may involve risks.
Risks virtually unknown to most until the appearance of several cases in our country hemorrógica contagion Crimean Congo fever through a bite. Fears for ticks reality has also identified another virus even more active and dangerous, Powassan virus is.
Disease deer tick
The deer tick (Ixodes Ricinus type), darker than the brown tick dogs, is the tick that transmits Lyme disease, a bacterial infection. When the deer tick bites or mouse infected with this bacterium (Borrelia burgdorferi) is contagious. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention US, last year 75 cases were detected.
Lyme disease is named after the American city where the first case was diagnosed in the late 1970s The main risk is that Lyme disease if left untreated can affect the brain, joints or heart. Early symptoms may appear weeks or months after the bite. Your symptoms may include box:
- Muscle and joint pain.
- generalized itching.
- Episodes of fever.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Neck stiffness.
- visual impairment.
- motor problems.
- Speech disorders.
- Mental confusion.
Avoid tick bites
Prevention is essential to avoid bites from these unwelcome parasites.
- If we are to take the field, wear appropriate clothing (Boots, socks, long pants, shirts into pants to not leave open space, hat).
- Seek wear light colors to find the possible attached ticks.
- After being outdoors, check the clothes, hair and skin, especially in areas such as the waist, armpits, back of knees and neck.
- Apply insect repellents at the bottom of his pants, cuffs jersey or shirt and boots before leaving the field.
- In case of bite, as quickly as possible to remove the tick.
- None of applying oils or other products to numb the tick. The most effective is to use a antigarrapatas clip to remove it from the skin.
- Disinfect with an antiseptic.
You may also be interested in: Ticks in Spain: where they hide and what the dangers are and discover what are the risks and what to do with the bite of a tick.